We’re coming up to that time of year again, that no matter what age you are, you are either thinking about dusting off that diner suit which lurks at the back of your wardrobe or you’re pondering investing in a new model, because of the aforementioned statement. Whether, its a Wedding, Day at the Races, Award Ceremony, or increasing a Prom, yes you read that right, Proms are not just the exclusive property of High School Musical or Grease, depend on your age. Proms are now common event in educational establishments from Junior Schools, yes Junior Schools, to Universities and as Tuxedos are no longer just confined to your classic Black, single breasted, one button numbers. There is greater choice for us gentlemen to choose from which can of course through up an increased amount of problem areas. So, Chester Barrie, the resident address holder of 19 Savile Row, who have counted Cary Grant, Sir Winston Churchill, Gordon Ramsey and Frank Sinatra as clientele. Plus dressed, probably, the most stylish screen characters of all time, both Steve McQueen in the Thomas Crown Affair and Sean Connery as James in Dr No and Thunderball ! And if that wasn’t enough they are also sponsoring the Laurence Olivier Awards this coming weekend. So one does think its safe to say, this is a brand who know a thing or two about not only tuxedos but suiting in general. Take a look below at their Classic top tips when investing in a Tuxedo –
1) Look for a good quality grosgrain on the lapels.
2) Dress trousers should have a strip of fabric down the side – look for braid. It looks much classier and adds an authentic touch.
3) Do not buy a dress suit that requires a belt – it spoils the look – go for side adjusters or braces.
4) A low-cut waistcoat will enhance the look and looks better than the cummerbund.
5) Marcella dress shirts should off the option for buttons or studs – pleat fronts are flashier but are acceptable.
6) Bow-ties should always be black and self-tie.
7) Studs and cufflinks should be the only flash of colour shown.
8) Pocket squares may also be coloured adding elegance and fun to an eveningwear outfit.
9) A white silk dress scarf should only be worn with an overcoat (a white cashmere scarf can also be particularly classy).
10) Shoes should always be black; traditionally they should have no detail and highly polished.
11) (And just for good measure) Socks should be black or dark red only.