With St Patrick’s day just round the corner what better way to celebrate it then to book a weekend away to the Emerald Isle and today’s Home & Away, is a guide to the beautiful and ancient city of Galway. Galway offers a unique Irish experience, being an amazing coastal city and where olde world Ireland fuses with a modern, cosmopolitan but welcoming vibe. If you’re looking for something a little different to Dublin or Cork I strongly recommend this unique city where stunning coastal scenery is never far away.
Top 5 things –
5) Head to the Spanish Arch for pub, after pub, after pub, from traditional to contemporary, you’ll find at least one to like here.
4) Walk to the beach at Salthill, but generally walk it’s a brilliant city to walk round. Be Brave while in Salthill join the locals and take a dip in the Atlantic
3) Impress your better half and take them for a cream tea at the Meyrick Hotel (hotelmeyrick.ie)
2) While in Galway head to the Arran Islands and visit the spiritual home of Father Ted.
1) Eat Fish & Chips in McDonaghs (22 Quay Street, Galway City, www.mcdonaghs.net)
Sleep – The G (theghotel.ie) or Sleepzone (sleepzone.ie). Depending on your budget we’ve given you two options, either the Philip Traecy designed 5* hotel or one of the best hostels in the world, officially.
Drink – Tig Cóilí, Mainguard Street, Home of Traditional Irish Music 7 nights a week. Great atmosphere and music.
Ask a Local – Tommy Connolly
“Galway’s brilliant for a pub crawl, don’t get stuck in one pub, there are few bad pubs in the city so have a drink or two and move on, your never more then two doors away from a pub”.